A homeowner’s mind is always on property value. Most people will switch homes at least once or twice in their lifetime, so it’s important to keep your house ready for sale as much as possible. Make sure the roof is stable, keep the electricity and plumbing operational, and add a fresh coat of paint from time to time. However, there is one type of home maintenance that many owners know very little about other than the immense danger it can deal if left unchecked. We’re talking about mold (more specifics can be found at www.toxicmoldusa.com).
When it isn’t dealt with quickly, a mold problem can quickly grow into a mold infestation, plummeting home value in the process. In this post, we’ll share several common signs that you might have mold in your house, so that you can catch the issue before it gets too big.
A musty smell is often the first sign of mold. Because it can grow in places that are out of sight (and thus, out of mind), the strong smell of mold can tip you off to a problem you might otherwise remain unaware of for months or years.
A good practice is to at least twice a year spend several days away from home. Most people take vacations or weekend trips from time to time, so these can be an ideal time to conduct a mold smell test. Your sense of smell can get used to odors that creep in gradually, so when you return home after a few days away, take a few minutes to smell the air with a fresh nose.
Unchecked water flow is often the leading cause of mold growth. Pooling moisture combined with warm temperatures creates a breeding ground for festering fungi. For this reason, basements and attics (which are typically not insulated or climate controlled) are particularly susceptible to mold from water damage. Even finished basements aren’t immune to mold.
If you’ve recently discovered leaks in your roof or plumbing, or suffered from burst pipes, you need to be vigilant about drying the affected areas thoroughly and checking up on them periodically to make sure that no mold is creeping in. Insulation, wood, and drywall are particularly susceptible to mold growth from water damage.
Unmitigated mold damage can sink the resale value of your home and even present significant health risks, including skin irritation and lung damage. When it’s left to fester, mold can cause thousands of dollars in damage. Knowing the early signs of mold will help you keep on top of one of the most important aspects of home maintenance.